It has now been a few weeks since midterm and I am feeling more confident with my ukulele playing. I am at the point now where I have learned how to play all three songs that I have chosen, and have also learned one more from our personalized learning sessions. While playing next to Catrina, I noticed that she was playing a song that I really liked and asked her to show me how to play it. Turns out, it uses all the chords that I have already learned. So that has been a cool experience.

After learning all of the songs on ukulele my next step was to add lyrics to the songs while playing them. This has been something that I have been slowly working on by humming the melody while I play. Through my journey I have found that by humming the words it is easier to tell when I need to change the chords. Since midterm I have been trying to learn all the words to my first song Skinny Love by Bon Iver so that I can sing and play. This has been a learning curve for me because I do not think of myself as a good singer so it feels strange to spend so much time to singing aloud. At first I felt awkward but after practicing for a few days it has been something that I have been looking forward to and using for a mental break while studying or doing homework. I feel as though I am at the point where I know the chords and how to play the song well enough that learning how to sing along with the song doesn’t feel like homework, it is just fun to have my own little jam sesh.

I have been devoting about 30 minutes a day to playing the ukulele and singing and this is the progress that I have made so far with the song Skinny Love by Bon Iver.