Wrapping up FreshGrade

For our EdTech Group Inquiry, our group decided to look at how FreshGrade could be used inside and outside the classroom, as a beneficial tool for students, parents, and teachers. We started by looking at what exactly FreshGrade was and how it could be used, we learned that FreshGrade was an online system that was designed to keep teachers, students, and parents connected. FreshGrade allows for teachers to design their lessons and schedules, give assessment and feedback on students’ work, and keep parents up to date with what their children are learning in the classroom. We learned that FreshGrade can also be beneficial for administration as principles can now use FreshGrade to create a community within their school, where others work can be showcased and everyone can engage. There were a ton of benefits to using FreshGrade such as the planning and organizing features, communication with parents and students, and the assessment features, but there were also some cons to using FreshGrade. FreshGrade does not support drawing, narration, or speech to text tools and it can become another task for teachers to keep up with, resulting with many not wanting to put in the effort. As we were researching for this inquiry we learned a lot about how FreshGrade can be beneficial for parents, and even had the opportunity to speak with a parent from school district 61 regarding what they thought about the program. In our interview, we learned that getting the most out of the program all depended on how the teacher was using FreshGrade in the classroom. Our interviewee said that he loved that his children were excited to show what they had learned at school that day and that this always sparked conversation about their day, and what they did in the classroom. He did mention that what you get out of FreshGrade all depends on what the teacher is posting, many teachers barely use it while others keep you updated with constant pictures and descriptions about everyday activities. He also explained that much of what his children’s teachers posted was not child specific, and did not include any form of assessment. We also learned about some of the cons that other parents experienced such as not having access to technology in order to view the site or that many parents are not comfortable having photos or videos of their children being posted for others to see. As we continued to research, we all realized that FreshGrade is an amazing program that would be very beneficial for future educators to get familiar with, especially here in BC as many of our school districts are using FreshGrade everyday in the classroom. FreshGrade offers many professional development day programs online to help educators learn how to get the most out of the program and can show how other teachers are using it within their classroom. We highly recommend that teacher’s check out our link below to look into signing up for their free class to learn how to get started with FreshGrade. We are very happy that we choose to research this amazing online program as it will be very applicable to our future careers and look forward to learning more about it in the future. 

Link: https://learning.freshgrade.com/p/getting-started-with-freshgrade-1

Ways to use FreshGrade

FreshGrade provides opportunities for student learning, parent engagement and formative assessment. A few examples given by FreshGrade that we thought were useful are the following:

1. Empowering Students:

FreshGrade portfolio allows students to take ownership of their work, as they are able to choose the information to post and reflect on their learning.

2. Provide Feedback:

After learning is captured, teachers can provide personalized feedback.

3. Track Student Progress:

FreshGrade allows teachers to look at student and class progress. This can be done through the class dashboard and also has a feature to alert parents if help is needed at home.

4. Assessment:

Teachers can use FreshGrade with regards to reporting and grading their students and potentially save time and reduce their workload. Teachers can select their desired assessment tool (mastery, score, custom, etc.) and assess each activity for each student and share with them. FreshGrade also provides an opportunity for students and parents to receive assessment consistently (not just three specific times a year), which should ultimately help students’ growth.

5. Learning Slideshow:

A learning slideshow is a way to show students’ learning and growth throughout the year. 

6. Personal Portfolio:

As education seems to be shifting towards using portfolios in the future, FreshGrade provides an opportunity for students to start building their own portfolio and allow the teacher and student to reflect on their personal growth and progress. 

7. Record Field Trips:

Teachers can use recorded field-trips to provide an opportunity to continue learning after the field-trip is over. 

8. Reduce Waste in the Classroom:

The environment is an important topic that students should be encouraged to think about. The amount of paper waste will be significantly less by using FreshGrade. 

That’s all folks

It has been a journey that’s for sure. I had many plans and ideas on how I wanted to end my baking experience but because of the current situation with COVID-19 I wasn’t able to  obtain all the ingredients that I needed and was uneasy about going out to such crowded areas. My end goal was to bake a loaf of bread and experiment further with using yeast or a starter, I thought it would be the ultimate goal and challenge for me. But due to the unfortunate circumstances I will postpone that challenge until a later date and instead finish this inquiry with how it all started; chocolate chip cookies.

I baked a fresh batch tonight for a yummy study snack and to relieve some of the stress that these past few weeks have built up. I first started with my research trying to find the best gooey chocolate chip cookie I could find to suit my craving. I settled with Tasty’s recipe because they are always on point and got to work creaming my wet ingredients. One the wet ingredients looked like silk I added my flour, baking soda and chocolate chips. After mixing it all together I formed my cookies and set them into the oven for 12 minutes. Now let me tell you, I think I have hit the goldmine with this cookie recipe. I don’t know if it was because I was stressed and tired and hungry but the taste of a warm gooey chocolate chip cookie dipped into a glass of cold milk was what I imagine the cookies in heaven taste like. It was just what I needed. It helped me reflect and remind myself of the home runs and strike outs that I encountered during my baking experience.

It all started with the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies that I baked back in January. I chose this recipe because it was something that I was somewhat familiar with and is in the easy category of baking. I was able to practice the basics of baking which is separating your wet and dry ingredients then combining them later. This recipe was also something that allowed me to help build up my baking confidence which prepared me for the rest of the semester. I remember saying in that blog that I didn’t feel like I was doing homework and that it just felt fun. From day 1 I started to look at the assignment as a break from studying and a good way to treat myself for working so hard. This mindset is what I think helped me continue and learn throughout this inquiry.

After making cookies I made carrot muffins which ended up tasting really good and going well. But I do have an update that I didn’t blog about… Two days after I made the muffins I went to go pack one for lunch and I noticed that all the carrot bits turned green! Crazy right?! At first I thought they were moldy but after pondering that thought I realized that there was no way that after two days they could possibly be already moldy so I googled it and found out that I made a chemical reaction! So fun fact, apparently if you do not thoroughly combine your baking soda it can turn your carrots green! So I did learn something there. This recipe also allowed me to gain experience towards how to bake muffins and properly line the pan.

The next baked good I conquered was scones. I decided to make cheese scones so I could learn how to create flaky layers in scones and similar pastries. This is done by using cold, cubed butter so that when the butter melts in the oven, it separates the dough and creates layers. This was the first recipe where I practiced kneading dough which was difficult because the cheese scones contained a lot of flour so it kept falling apart. They ended up requiring a lot of time and attention to make them into a workable consistency. This recipe was definitely something I would make again! Would go great with soup!

I got to say out of all of these recipes my biggest home run was the luscious lemon bars. I am still obsessing over them! This recipe had two sections, one for working and baking the crust and the other for the lemon filling. The crust was probably the most complicating, not to make but to prepare because it had to be assembled then compacted into a pan, perfectly level then frozen, then baked. The lemon filling was just time consuming requiring lemon juice and zest from 5-6 lemons. After following the recipe and baking it I got to tell you, they were delicious and stayed fresh the longest amount of time out of all the recipes. Through this experience I really built up my baking confidence and learned a good skill for whenever I make dessert bars in the future.

Following the lemon bars was one of my first flops; the cinnamon buns. This was the first time I have ever worked with yeast and was unsure on how to fully activate the yeast and the wait time that it required before adding the ingredients. I think that is where I went wrong, was the very beginning with the yeast and after that it didn’t rise and came out dense and hard. This recipe gave me experience and the opportunity to work with a more complex component of baking and was something that I was able to learn and grow from.

Unfortunately the cheesecake I made next added to my list of flops. This recipe was another first for me that contained many do’s and don’ts which didn’t help me much. I think the only thing that went wrong here was my cook time. I should have left it in the oven for a little longer then let it cool and set for longer than I did. Besides the uncooked portion of it, it turned out really well and was another learning experience for me which gave me insight towards what to do next time I bake a cheesecake. Or I could just choose a non-bake one…

Last but not least was my coffee cake. This was a simple but good one, a solid way to end my baking inquiry. In this recipe I learned how to make a crumble and was able to add another pastry recipe to my repertoire! I am very grateful for this experience. I feel as though I learned a lot about how to bake different recipes using different techniques. I not only improved my baking ability but I found a excellent way to take a mental break from studying and fill it with something that I enjoy and that my friends and family also enjoy! I cannot wait to continue on with my new found hobby and explore new recipes.

Zoom and Twine

Today, due to not being able to have class all together at UVIC we all participated in class online. Through my instructors help we set up an account for the website Zoom which enabled our class of 32 to be all on one video conference together. I have had some previous experience in group calls on platforms such as Facetime and Skype but I have never been on a call with more than four people before so it was definitely interesting. I think Zoom was a good alternative to being in class altogether, the audio worked well for everyone and it was nice having the option to be on mute or off as well as have your camera on or off. The chat was also cool to have a form of communication and to share links which helped in my instructors explanation of the following activity.

Due to schools being closed now until further notice I think Zoom would be a good option for educators to communicate with their students and hold class online for middle school, high school and post secondary students. It has a variety of features that an educator could take advantage of and has the ability to visually see everyone which gives educators visual cues to make sure the students are still engaged and listening. Some cons that I noticed from my experience today was that it was hard focusing sometimes because of how many distractions their were but almost because of this I was very engaged in the video call. The scene sharing portion of it was also helpful when my peers where doing their presentations so give a visual to their explanations and research.

Overall, I don’t know if I would use it unless I have to one day but it is a good tool to have in my back pocket if something happens  where I cannot meet my students face to face in class.

Post Midterm Blog 6

This is my last blog documenting my journey of learning the ukulele. This final song Everything I Wanted by Billie Ellish gave me the most grief, learning how to play and singing while playing. I thought about changing the song twice because it just wasn’t sounding how I wanted it to. I don’t like how the chords sound, nor the picking pattern, and it felt like it was too low for my vocal range.  The reason that I chose to stick with it was because I have a tendency to be stubborn and thought that with more practice it would sound better but the reality of it was that with the many weeks and hours I put into learning this song it was as good as it was going to get.

I have never learned how to pick a song before, I have always chosen to strum because it was easier. So when it came time to choose an instrument and songs to learn for this assignment I wanted to really go out of my comfort zone and see what happened. Compared to how this song sounded my first week playing it to now, it is like night and day. My third blog that I wrote for this assignment I remember saying that it didn’t even sound similar to the actual song and at least now I can say that it does. I found that while picking I had to constantly look down at the strings which changed the position in which I held the ukulele. I also had a difficult time figuring out my timing for singing because I was concentrating so hard on not messing up.

Even with all the trouble that I had trying to learn this song I am glad that I chose to stick with it because it made me understand some of the techniques the someone has to have in order to pick a song, such as which fingers they use. It is easier to switch between your thumb, pointer and middle finger compared to just using your thumb. I also gained an understanding towards the effort that goes into learning this style of playing, and with the experience that I have now I would like to try to learn another song that uses a similar motion.

Whipped up a little coffee cake

This week I have been feeling a little under the weather and wasn’t feeling up to what I had originally planned. I still wanted to bake and was looking forward to a sweet treat so I chose something that wouldn’t take too long to make and that I have never made before; Coffee cake! At my work (Royal Bay Bakery) my boss makes the best coffee cake, and got me hooked on it a few months ago. As usual once I decided what I wanted to make, I googled some different recipes to get a good idea on how to make one. After some time I found a cinnamon coffee cake recipe that wouldn’t take too long, the pictures looked good and had excellent reviews.

The instructions for this recipe were pretty minimal, just saying to separate the wet and dry ingredients then mix them all together and pour it into the pan. It seemed easy enough it just stated in big bold letters not to over mix, so I was careful to only fold the ingredients in until just combined. Once I poured the batter into the pan I set the oven to 350 then started working on the yummy cinnamon topping. This was once again pretty basic and reminded me of the cinnamon filling I made for my cinnamon buns a few weeks back. After I had mixed the filling together to form a crumble I spread it evenly on top of my batter then was ready to set it into the oven.

The cake was set to be in the oven for at least 33 minutes (this is what the recipe said) but after a little over 25 minutes I peaked inside because I was getting impatient. The edges were golden brown and it looked ready to go so I pulled it out and let it sit on a rack to cool. This was one issue that I had with this recipe, if I didn’t check it when I did, it would have probably been overcooked and very dry. After it cooled down I poured some icing on top of it and cut out a piece to try!

Overall, it tasted pretty good! It was moist and sweet but not too sweet, which is a plus. The only thing that was unfortunate about it was how it looked nothing like the picture. I followed the recipe exactly but somehow there wasn’t nearly enough filling compared to what the one in the picture had. I think it would have been better with double the filling and maybe mixing it a little with a toothpick after sprinkling it on, that way it can be more throughout the cake, which I think would make it better. For this weeks baking experience I would give it a 7/10.

How to get the most out of FreshGrade

Like we have discussed, FreshGrade is an amazing tool that allows teachers to upload and share their students work and progress with parents daily. By documenting their students everyday activities it can help make processes such as  assessment simpler and more accurate. FreshGrade comes fully equipped with all of these features and it is important as an educator choosing to use FreshGrade, that you know how to get the best bang for your buck. FreshGrade offers many different professional development courses that educate teachers and faculty on how to get the most out of using FreshGrade.

The first course that teachers could sign up in for free is Getting Started with FreshGrade which outlines the fundamentals on how to use FreshGrade on your own time. It includes a step by step process as well as practical examples on how to use FreshGrade in your classroom.

Another available course is I’m Proud of me! Mental Health and Self-Esteem through Digital Portfolios which discusses how through the use of FreshGrade, and giving constant and positive feedback to students can benefit children who are having mental health or self-esteem issues.

FreshGrade offers courses on Developing a Growth Mindset through Digital Portfolios  which discusses strategies on how to use FreshGrade to shift students from a fixed to a growth mindset.  It is stated that through regular communication with students and by promoting self-reflection in digital portfolios it can encourage a growth mindset.

There is an assessment course called Assessment Strategies That Promote Learning Instead of Labelling that enables teachers to see into how using student observations, conversations, and products can give great insight into their students learning.

Lastly, FreshGrade offers a course on Increasing Student Metacognition Through Self Reflections  which discusses how reflection drives forward student learning and how it can lead them to take ownership of their learning.

Post Midterm Blog 5

This week I have been spending time playing the singing the song Valerie by Amy Winehouse. This has by far been the most enjoyable song to play. The song sounds really good on ukulele and now that I am getting better playing the chorus I am enjoying playing it more. At first I found the verses the easiest to play because it only switches between two chords, C and Dm. The chorus is where I had the most trouble due to the transition between F and Em. It took a week or two of practice to finally start making that transition sound and feel smoother and now I am starting to sing along with it.

I think the reason this song is working out so well for me is because I knew the song really well before hand, and it is in my tessitura. The other song that I learned was Skinny Love by Bon Iver was a little high for me to sing so I was more nervous to record myself . At this point in time I have remembered most of the chords for this song, but still need to have my sheet laid out in front of me while I play, especially while I sing because I still need a reminder of what verse is coming up. I am happy with how this song sounds and how far I have come. When I first started I didn’t know anything about the ukulele. I didn’t know any chords, how to tune or hold it. Throughout this process, the more I practiced and saw improvement the more I loved playing. It has definitely become a new hobby.

Here is a short video of me playing the song Valerie by Amy Winehouse

Mindcraft and Science journal

Today was very interesting! We had Heidi James come in and talk about her experience using Mindcraft in her classroom and the learning opportunities that it can create. Coming into today’s class I was skeptical about how Mindcraft can be used as a pedagogical tool.  Previously, I viewed Mindcraft as just a game that can immerse children for hours on end, and in a way “rot their brain”. The whole movement for the past few years has been to try to get children away from spending too much time on the computer. The amount of ‘screen time’ children should be allocated is very controversial for most parents and educators, due to recent research on it’s negative effects for children. So it was very interesting to see how this game can be used to support subject areas such as math, social studies, language arts and arts and design. 

After trying out playing Mindcraft and listening to Heidi and her students talk I could definitely see the appeal for this game in the classroom. It is a great way to engage students in their studies and cater the content to them, which is what the new BC curriculum is encouraging. As much as I love the idea I don’t know if I would personally incorporate it into my own classroom unless I developed a passion for it later on in my career. I just don’t think I have the knowledge and technical ability to execute this type of activity. If I were to incorporate it someday, here are some lessons that I would be interested in doing:

Language Arts – https://education.minecraft.net/lessons/fairytale/

Science – https://education.minecraft.net/lessons/element-scavenger-hunt/

Math – https://education.minecraft.net/lessons/fractions-steeplechase/

Art and Design – https://education.minecraft.net/lessons/patterns-and-motifs/

Today we also talked about the Google Science Journal which is an app that collects scientific data on your phone. Using smartphone sensors it can detect and measure light, sound, motion, and atmospheric pressure. This is cool because students could use it in any way the wish, such as attaching it to their dog to see how fast he/she could run around the house. This would be something I would be interested in doing because it incorporates technology in a way that students are comfortable with and is something that they could use and explore, in and out of school.

Post Midterm Blog 4

It has now been a few weeks since midterm and I am feeling more confident with my ukulele playing. I am at the point now where I have learned how to play all three songs that I have chosen, and have also learned one more from our personalized learning sessions. While playing next to Catrina, I noticed that she was playing a song that I really liked and asked her to show me how to play it. Turns out, it uses all the chords that I have already learned. So that has been a cool experience.

After learning all of the songs on ukulele my next step was to add lyrics to the songs while playing them. This has been something that I have been slowly working on by humming the melody while I play. Through my journey I have found that by humming the words it is easier to tell when I need to change the chords. Since midterm I have been trying to learn all the words to my first song Skinny Love by Bon Iver so that I can sing and play. This has been a learning curve for me because I do not think of myself as a good singer so it feels strange to spend so much time to singing aloud. At first I felt awkward but after practicing for a few days it has been something that I have been looking forward to and using for a mental break while studying or doing homework. I feel as though I am at the point where I know the chords and how to play the song well enough that learning how to sing along with the song doesn’t feel like homework, it is just fun to have my own little jam sesh.

I have been devoting about 30 minutes a day to playing the ukulele and singing and this is the progress that I have made so far with the song Skinny Love by Bon Iver.