This week for my baking inquiry I decided to take it up a notch and bake muffins. Preparing for this week I took some time to do a little research on what kind of muffin I wanted to make. I was deciding between making a blueberry muffin, lemon poppy seed or carrot muffin’s which are are equally my favorite. After researching more I decided to go with a carrot muffin because I already owned all the ingredients that it called for making it less costly. Going into making this recipe I was worried about using carrots because I have never baked with them before and I wasn’t sure if I needed to do anything or pre-cook them before hand. The last thing anyone wants is a crunchy carrot muffin but after a thorough review of the recipe I was assured that it would all be fine and that the carrots would bake in the muffin. I was also nervous/curious about using so many different types of spices, I used a Spiced Carrot Muffin recipe which called for cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. The only thing that I can think about the uses similar ingredients is pumpkin pie so I was curious to see how the muffins would turn out and taste with these added ingredients.

During the baking process the muffins seemed to come along very well and the consistency of the batter looked great! I followed the recipe exactly and I again was enjoying myself in the process. After everything was combined I set them in the oven and let them bake for 20-25 minutes as recommended. After 20 minutes I took them out and tested them with a toothpick to check if they were ready. After I pulled them out I set them on a cooling rack and waited a few minutes to try one. The muffins visually looked great, they rose really well and obtained a nice golden brown along the edges. Unfortunately I think they looked better than they tasted. I don’t know what it was but they just had no flavor. The texture of them was really great and they were nice and moist but they didn’t really taste like anything. Next time I think I will add more more of the spices specifically cinnamon and maybe some orange juice or some lemon juice. Other than that I was very proud of how they turned out and proud of myself for baking more goodies.