For this weeks inquiry blog I decided to make one of my all time favorite desserts, lemon bars. Now I have never made any kind of dessert bar in my entire life nor have I seen anyone make one, so couldn’t even tell you where you would begin. I first set out to do some research on how one actually makes a lemon bar and what the steps might be. After looking at a few options of recipes I decided on the one that would take the least amount of time and with the best title; Luscious Lemon Bars.

After choosing the recipe, I set out to buy all my ingredients and begin. The recipe was split up into two sections, the first being the crust and the second the filling. For the crust, the ingredients were fairly simple and just needed a good mix and to be flattened on the baking pan. For this I needed some extra help to really push it down on the pan and make sure it was flat. Once the crust was ready to go it needed to freeze for 10/15 minutes and then bake for 15-20 minutes. I still don’t really understand why it needed to freeze first but I followed the instructions and then threw the crust in the oven while I started on my filling.

The filling wasn’t hard to make either, the only thing that caused me grief was obtaining 2 tablespoons of lemon zest. I ended up giving this job to my friend so she spent a good 15 minutes grating 6 lemons while I put the rest of the ingredients together (thank god for her). Once the filling was ready to go I took the crust out of the oven and poured the filling on top of it, and set it back into the oven for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes were up I set the tray on a cooling rack where it had to sit for a couple hours before serving.

I am really building up my baking confidence because let me tell you, these lemon bars were very luscious. They had the perfect balance of sweet and tart that a lemon bar should have, the crust was baked perfectly and the filling was so yummy. I couldn’t have been happier with how these turned out and I would strongly say that I would give these lemon bars a 9.5/10. The only thing I would change for the future would be to make the crust a little thinner but they still tasted amazing.